course: Practical Course Fundamentals of IT Security
- teaching methods:
- practical course
- internet, computer based presentation
- responsible person:
- Prof. Dr. Jörg Schwenk
- Prof. Dr. Jörg Schwenk (ETIT), M. Sc. Dominik Noß (ETIT)
- offered in:
- winter term and summer term
dates in winter term
- start: Monday the 14.10.2019 from 14:00 in HNC 30
- lab: according to agreement
dates in summer term
- kick-off meeting: Monday the 08.04.2019 from 14:15 in ID 2/168
- lab Mondays: from 14:00 to 17.00 o'clock in ID 2/168
|Form of exam:||lab|
|Registration for exam:||FlexNow|
The students are familiar with the practical aspects of IT security as well as with the flaws of concrete products and procedures.
This practical introduction in IT security consists of 10 exercises and 2 backup exercises. Each exercise must be prepared in advance using the provided materials. Subsequent to each event a written evaluation must be handed in within one week.
The practical course focuses on the following topics (subject to change):
- Network analysis using nmap & Wireshark
- Buffer overflow attacks
- Attacks in switched networks
- Configuration of firewalls
- Web security
- Network spoofing
- MD5 collisions in Postscript
- Kryptographic attacks on RSA
Basic knowledge in the fields of cryptography, programming langagues and computer networks.
The participation in the first appointment is mandatory. Forming groups will then be addressed.
Participation in this course requires a prior registration in Flexnow (www.flexnow.rub.de) within the period from 01.03.2019 to 31.03.2019.
All exercises take place in the net lab room ID 2/168. Please be on time and study the provided materials in the Moodle course. Each appointment starts with a test to assert sufficient preparation of the students.
Each team of two students must perform a follow-up written résumé of the conducted experiments and submit them to the tutors.
Participants which have little experience with Linux can find assisting information in the attached PDF ( Linux-Befehlsreferenz ).