course: Practical Course Fundamentals of IT Security
- teaching methods:
- practical course
- internet, computer based presentation
- responsible person:
- Prof. Dr. Jörg Schwenk
- Prof. Dr. Jörg Schwenk (ETIT), M. Sc. Dominik Noß (ETIT)
- offered in:
- winter term and summer term
dates in winter term
- start: Monday the 02.11.2020 from 16:00 in Online
- lab: according to agreement
dates in summer term
- kick-off meeting: Monday the 19.04.2021 from 16:00
Die Angaben zu den Prüfungsmodalitäten (im WiSe 2020/2021 | SoSe 2021) erfolgen vorbehaltlich der aktuellen Situation. Notwendige Änderungen aufgrund universitärer Vorgaben werden zeitnah bekanntgegeben.
|Form of exam:||lab|
|Registration for exam:||FlexNow|
The students are familiar with the practical aspects of IT security as well as with the flaws of concrete products and procedures.
This practical introduction in IT security consists of 10 exercises and 2 backup exercises. Each exercise must be prepared in advance using the provided materials. Subsequent to each event a written evaluation must be handed in within one week.
The practical course focuses on the following topics (subject to change):
- Cryptographic Attacks on RSA
- Attacks in Switched Networks
- Buffer Overflow Attacks
- Forensic Analysis of Ransomware Attacks
- Configuration of Firewalls
- Progammatic Analysis of Network Data with LipPcap
- Linux Basics
- MD5 Collisions in Postscript
- Network Analysis using Nmap & Wireshark
- Security Incident and Event Management (SIEM) with Splunk
- Web Security
Basic knowledge in the fields of cryptography, programming langagues and computer networks.
- Date for kickoff Meeting (mandatory attendance!): 19. April 2021 at 16:00
- Important! Only students registered at the exam office and with RUB Zoom Account will be accepted into the meeting.
- Zoom Link for kick-off meeting: https://ruhr-uni-bochum.zoom.us/j/92634176909?pwd=TEFXMGptaysrRlA0YlpsVWxUU1Rkdz09
- Zoom Meeting ID for kick-off meeting: 926 3417 6909
- Zoom Passcode for kick-off meeting: 979594
- Forum, materials, and hand-in of assigments: Moodle
- Moodle course: "Grundlagenpraktikum ITS (142240 - SoSe21) (SoSe21)" (Moodle ID: 37829)
- Moodle passwort: none necessary. Only users registered at the examination office (e.g. via flexnow) will be granted access.
- Contact for course management: email@example.com
- Contact for course content: Moodle forum
- Break Down: You'll work in teams of two, 20 teams of two per weekly appointment, 1 to 3 appointments per week, each week one of 10 subjects.
As part of the fight against SARS-nCov-2 this practical course will be held online for the summer term of 21.
Winter term: There will be three weekly appointments in which this course is held synchronously. For example: Monday 10-13, Monday 14-17, Thursday 10-13 (These are exemplary dates, subject to change.)
Summer term: There will be one weekly appointment.
At each appointment, you will have a three hour windows for accessing a dedicated computer via screen sharing. At the same time the tutors will be present in the computer room as well as in a Zoom call with all participants. This way, guidance and help will be provided for you to complete your assignments.
You will be working in teams of two. Each team will be placed in a separate zoom break out room for communication. Each weekly appointment allows participation of 20 teams of two - i.e. 40 persons can participate at one appointment. There will be three weekly appointments, thus our capacity is 120 students. Should this limit be exceeded, teams of three will be formed. Forming groups will be addressed in the kickoff meeting. You will be able to enter a preference for partner and weekday. We attempt to find an optimal partition.
All further information will be presented in the kickoff meeting on Zoom. The participation is mandatory and very important for a flawless realisation.
Please be on time and study the provided materials in the Moodle course in advance. Each appointment starts with a test to assert sufficient preparation.
Each team of two students must perform a follow-up written resume of the conducted experiments and submit them to the tutors.
Participants which have little experience with Linux can find assisting information in the attached PDF ( Linux-Befehlsreferenz ).